Teen Patti Card Game
Play Teen Patti With Our Top Pick
Teen patti (or Pathi) is a card game. The name is in the Hindi language and translates to “three cards”. This is a card game that originated in the Indian subcontinent. It is now a popular gambling game throughout South Asia. Teen Patti is colloquially known as Indian poker and is also known as flush and flash in certain parts of the word. The origin of this can be traced back to the English card game known as ‘three card brag’.
The game is always dealt counter-clockwise. All the players in the game agree beforehand on the number of cards to be dealt in the game and the dealer will deal in the opening card. All the players will add an ‘ante’ into the game before picking up the cards dealt for them. Once everyone sees their cards, the game begins.
How to play Teen Patti
Teen Patti is played among three to six people. The game uses a 52 cards pack. There are no jokers used in this game. The first set of ‘ante’ or boot that the players add to the game pot is the minimum stake amount. This money is kept at the center of the table. This money will keep increasing through the course of the game and the winner takes home the pot money. The final winner is the last person standing by completing the hand or has the best hand compared to the other players in the game. The best hand is decided based on which player has the ‘highest hand’ as per the rules of the game.
Ranking of the cards:
- The trio aka three of a kind: This means matching three of the same cards. This is also known as a trail or sequence. Here, matching three Aces is the highest rank while matching three twos is the lowest ranked trio.
- Straight Flush: This matching sequence is known as the pure sequence or pure trail. This would mean matching any three cards from highest to lowest. For example, the highest ranked straight flush would be A-K-Q, while the lowest ranked straight flush would be 4-3-2. All three cards should be from the same suit in order to be considered a straight or pure trail. It should be noted that cards should be matched only the sequence order from high to low.
- Straight: This is known as a sequence. Here, players can match from highest to lowest, three consecutive cards from any suit. All the same rules for a straight flush apply here as well other than the requirement to match from the same suit of cards.
- Flush: This is when the players can match any three cards of the same suit. They do not have to be in consecutive order. If two or more players have a flush, the high card will win, followed by the next high card. If two or more players hold similar card values, then the players with the higher suit win.
- High card: Refers to a set of three cards that do not belong to any of the ranking sequences. Here, the highest card (A) will come first, the second highest card will be K, and so on. The lowest card is 2.
- Order of suit Ranks: Spades, Hearts, Diamonds, and Clubs
- Pair: This is known as matching the double. This is when players match cards in pairs. The higher value card wins. When two cards share the same value, the player with the higher valued third card wins.
- No Pair: Here, players have no matches made. In this case, the winner with the high card wins and the others are compared based on their values.
Who can play
Teen patti is a gambling game and therefore requires all players to be of legal age while playing it. In all South Asian countries (where the game is usually played), this age limit is 18 years or older. There are many online websites and few mobile applications that offer teen patti online. Players should ensure that they are eligible to play based on their jurisdiction laws.
The odds of winning
There are multiple variations in which the cards can be matched and the winner can take home the money. Based on the number of cards, an estimated odds of winning can be calculated. Players will be able to match the three of a kind trio at the odds of 424.00:1. This is the toughest sequence to gather. From here, as the rank of the sequence falls, the odds of getting that sequence increases. A straight flush can be matched at the odds of 459.42:1. A straight sequence can be matched at the odds of 29.69:1. The next order in the sequence is the Flush. This can be matched at the odds of 19.16:1. The Pair can be matched easily at the odds of 4.90 and finally, the no pair card, i.e. the high card can be matched at the odds of 0.34:1. Since this is a gambling game, the odds of matching the cards is directly related to the odds of the individual winning the ‘pot money’.
Claiming the prize money
Teen Patti is a game that is not only played at the gambling centers but also played as an entertainment game in households. There is no fixed payment across the games. The minimum ‘entry’ sum for the game depends on the host of the game. If the game is more informal in nature, then the host and the players together decide the minimum payment. As the game progresses the ‘pot money’ increases based on the bets placed by the players.
Tax payments for Teen patti depend on the jurisdiction the game is played in. In India, all winnings from gambling games have a 30.90% tax chargeable.
Teen patti has been a loved gambling game in India and other South Asian countries. It is fun and a very engaging card game to participate in. Definitely worth a try!